Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Women Empowering Eachother

I've been at a standstill as far as entries lately. Maybe it is pure laziness to take the time out of my evenings to sit down and write. But I think it is more a lack of motivation to find something to write about. I have to blog ideas in my head, tomorrow night I will write about how much stronger I feel since I have started working out.

Tonight, I will write off a comment made my Becky at The Fab Miss B. She commented on my last entry about everybody loving my Prior Fat Girl shirt. She said "I love to hear stories about women cheering each other on and being inspired by one another's successes. Way to go Amy!" I wanted to expand on that comment.

This is really quite a bit more thinking than I usually put into my posts. I think it is really important that women support one another! When I first started trying to run, over a couple of years ago, I was worried that I wouldn't be any good at it. I was worried that there were expectations and standards that I would never meet. After a while, I figured out those standards were in my head.  I figured out that everyone starts someplace and that is something that I have to keep in my head every time I want to just stop running. I have found support from other women! Some from my friends, some from the Prior Fat Pack, some from even my family.

My mom and my sister have always been a great support system for me. Even though my sister is an accomplished triathlete, she still pushes me and cheers me on every time I reach a personal milestone, even if it is just running a 5k. My family keeps pushing me and supporting me towards my goals. I thank them for that. I don't know what I would do with out them. I really wish I lived closer to them!

I attended college 2.5 hours from where I grew up. After breaking up with my high school boyfriend, I was at a complete loss at what to do with my time outside of school. I found support from wonderful women after joining my sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma. There sure was a lot of drama but it lead to meeting some of my closest friends to this day. I get their support, even after college. This also includes the women that weren't in my organization but in other Greek organizations.

My friends, old and new. Even just a passing, "hey how's it going" means a lot to me. My PFP friends and join me in 5k races around the nation. My friends in Madison, that volunteer to drag me out for a workout. It really means so much to me.

Women should support each other. It maybe be something so small as an unexpected card (this is some thing I really enjoy doing, it often makes someone's day). It may come from a great friend or a complete stranger.

Eleanor Roosevelt, activist You Learn by Living
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

1 comment:

  1. I totally say hi to random strangers, and smile and ask how people are doing randomly. I have been that girl eyes on the ground where just one person any person saying hi or letting me know I existed would have made my day.

    At the Fathers Day 5k I had lots of people ask/comment/compliment the future PFG shirt, (and ask where the rest of the girls were!)

    On my second lap as more people started being outside, and coming the other direction it was so nice to just say hi and good morning and how is your day to them. It just happened naturally, and it felt so good!

    ReplyDelete