Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Choice

Am I allowed to write two entries in one day? I suppose I am.

Looking through some inspiration this morning, I found a blog that is run by Jack Sh*t, Getting Fit. In this blog, Jack asked other popular diet bloggers what they know now in their older age that they wish they would have known when they were 25. Well, I'm 28 so I figured they would have something that I could use in my own life.

One of the bloggers, Patrick, put it just about perfectly for me. He said that he wish he knew that the word "Choice" is the most empowering word. Here's what he had to say on the topic.

"If I had a dime for every time I was asked, "What I wish I knew at 25 that I know now", well… I’d have a dime.

There is one word that I wish I knew at 25 that I know now (I am 45 today). One word whose power will either create or destroy depending how you use it. Had I known, I would have put it to use a long time ago in creating the me I want now.

When we eat we have a series of choices before us. Choosing to be deliberately aware of our decisions about food engages too our often disjointed physical and mental senses together into a more powerfully responsible decision machine. This deliberate awareness will have us first validate that we are in fact hungry, that our hunger is real and not just a want for more food."

He talks about the deliberate choices we all make about food but I want to apply this to the choices I make every day. Ofcourse including choices about food is important and probably the hardest one for me but having that little one word thought in the back of my head I think will be incredibly helpful. If I need to just remember "choice" in my head, it will be a small reminder of what I need to be thinking about. But I should be able to use this little thought for everything, including getting out to get some activity and making decisions about my day in general.

I've found in the past that I have success with little cues that bring my mind back to focus. I often time lose my focus and just need that little thing to make me remember why I am doing what I am doing. I think this will work for me. I will give it a try.

Currently Listening To: Winter Song by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michelson

No comments:

Post a Comment