Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Salads with Fruit

Now I know what you are thinking. Fruit salad! I used to have a lot of fruit salad when I was younger. I'm talking about fresh fruit salad. I was never a fan of fruit cocktail out of a can. There was something about canned grapes that I just couldn't get over. Ewww!

Fruit salad in our family usually included bananas, apples, grapes, kiwi, oranges etc. I remember brown bananas, sorry Dad, that always tasted so sweet. I sadly am now allergic to bananas and miss the taste of them.

What I am thinking now as far as fruit in salads is fruit in green salads. This is something I hadn't tried until about four years ago when I found a recipe for Strawberry Poppyseed salad. I fell in love with this salad. I could sit down at eat this salad for every meal. For Christmas this year I mad a green salad that had apples, pears, and dried cranberries with a homemade poppyseed dressing. The homemade everything idea is for another post but this salad was delicious.

I picked up a huge container of strawberries at Costco yesterday. Often, we buy fresh food from there and it goes bad. The goal this week is to eat all of them before they go bad. So tonight, I cut up some of the strawberries and added them to a bowl of lettuce, spinach, yellow bell peppers, chopped almonds. I added some Panera Poppyseed dressing (can be purchased at Target). Mmmm...delicious.

I apologize for the rambling of this entry. It comes down to it that fruit will add a wonderful hint of sweetness to your regular salad. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment