Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Week 2 of C25K and a Worry

This was supposed to be posted lastnight but due to the news, I got distracted.  So read on.

I skipped to week two of Couch to 5k and to push myself passed last week's positive outcome, I pushed up the time from 30 minutes to almost 50 minutes. I was worried last week that I was already passed week two so I decided to push the distance a bit further, and it's also Sunday so I had time to kill. I did 3.3 miles in a little less than 50 minutes. I am coming across a strange feeling that I like running up hills! Sure, it really kills my legs but it also makes me feel soooo strong. Once I am able to get passed the aches and pains in my legs, my hips feel really great when I'm pushing up that grade. I might become one of those crazies that runs up hills for fun. My little sister finished the Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon this morning in 23 degree windchill.  Maybe I will make it a goal to run this race next year.

Onto the real topic of the evening. This is completely unrelated to my first paragraph but it has something to do with what I read, or heard somewhere. I worry a little bit about what I look like when I run, about what my ass looks like in work out pants or how my fat jiggles under my shirt (ew). I heard somewhere that people driving by me really don't care. Or I hope that they dont. If they do care, they need something better to do.  One thing that really bothers me, and it always has, is that my face gets really really red after I work out. I dont think it is because I am out of shape because it would get red when I was on Nordic Ski team in high school and I was in much better shape then. Please pardon picture. It was taken nearly 15 minutes after I stopped moving. I just don't get why my skin is so red? My skin stays red for atleast a half hour after I am done working out. I have no idea what is causing this. I see pictures of other people after they exercise and sure, they are a little flushed, but they don't look like they have spent the last hour in a steam room. (I am not wearing any makeup so that is the real color of my face). I know my body is just pumping more blood because I am exercising but does all the blood go to my face?

3 comments:

  1. I have the same problem. It doesn't matter what I'm doing. Sometimes at work if I start moving luggage around or taking out garbage my face gets so hot and flush. I think I have a bit of rosacea which probably adds to the problem. I don't let it bother me. Same for the how I look in workout gear. The gym I go to has a women's only locker room with hot tub, steam room, and sauna. I used to always wear my swimming suit because I didn't want anyone to see my fat roll and stretch marks, but now I don't care. I go naked and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could tell you why or how to make it stop...but I am the same way. I look like I have a massive sunburn when I work out. Mine takes FOREVER to return to normal color. I hear about people who workout at lunch...I could NEVER do that. I would look horrible going back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,

    I'm a new reader... we (sort of) met at the pot luck. :o) I have the same issue - BRIGHT red and jiggly when I run. But ya know what, people really don't pay attention. If you think about it, do YOU ever actually watch someone run for more than a couple seconds as you pass by? Do you judge them for being red and jiggly? I don't! I think "how cool that they're out running instead of parked on the couch!" :o)

    I wish I had chatted with you more over the weekend. I think we're in similar places in our journeys.

    Way to go yesterday and let's talk soon!

    ReplyDelete