Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

10 Year Reunion

My mom insists that I have to do another post because she "has nothing to read". So here is the post as promised.

My 10 year high school reunion is coming up on Saturday. It was decided to do the party on the Saturday after Thanksgiving because it was a time when classmates would be home. We are gathering at Solera in downtown Minneapolis for drinks, appetizers and lots of chatting (I'm sure). This will be my first reunion since my class decided to not have a 5 year reunion.

Let me tell you a bit about my class. I graduated from Wayzata High School in 2000 with 600 other students. Most of us were heading off to a college for a 2 or 4-year degree, some were working, some were going to the military, and some didn't have any clue what they wanted to do. Graduation was held on the University of Minnesota campus and an all night party commenced back at the high school.  I was horribly sick but wouldn't miss graduation or the party for anything, even though my boyfriend at the time and best friend opted out. Only about 80 of those 600 are showing.

I look back at high school...and I don't miss much of it. I miss the band parts the most.  I regret some of the petty sh*t that happened during those years and some of it, I wish I could take back. I'm hoping some of that stuff is just crap that people have decided was just insignificant. I am hoping that most of the cliquey (is that a word) stuff is gone. I am looking forward to seeing people that I didn't talk to much during those years but that I have come to found are great people. There are the old friends that are coming that I am beyond excited to see, although I wish more of them were attending. And looking at the RSVP list, there are people I do not wish to see that are attending, although few. I will just be polite. I am happy that Pat graduated with me so I will be dragging him with me.

Sure, I wanted to look hot for this party. I wanted to lose all the weight I had gained since high school. I wanted to be accomplished, successful. BUT WHO CARES!? If someone is going to be judgmental of me, so be it. That's their problem that they feel the need to have to judge others to feel better. I made the decision a few months ago to only worry about myself. I plan on buying a new outfit and look stylish in this body.

The past ten years have been different for all of us. Some people have found their ideal careers, some haven't. Some classmates are doing something different then what they dreamed of when they are younger but they are still happy. Some classmates are single, married, divorced, bi, gay and lesbian.  Some have kids, some don't. I'm just excited to catch up with people that I haven't talked to in a while. In the days of Facebook and social networking I do know a lot about some of these classmates but I don't think it's the same as seeing them in person.

Overall, I'm looking forward to this reunion! See you all on Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there! Have a ball lady! Post a pic of your hot outfit too! I love anything and everything that has to do with embracing the moment you are in right NOW.

    xo- Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a FABULOUS time at your reunion!! One thing that always helps me when I'm walking into a crowd is to remember that there is someone in that crowd who needs you to be genuinely happy to see them...and genuinely interested in what they're doing! For some reason, going into a crowd looking for someone to put at ease always makes it easier!

    I'm so inspired by the work you're doing Amy! Thank you for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,

    I wish I would have been closer to you in high school. I think I missed out on getting to know a great person. Your outlook on life is inspiring to me.

    Meg,

    Thanks for the support. I really need it on days I'm struggling. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete