Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

I'm Committed Now...Oh Boy!


Here we are, sitting at Epic once again. I’m really hoping that we will have the internet fixed by this time tomorrow. I somehow got to take the day off so that I can sit around the house and wait for the guy from the phone company to show up. He said he would be there sometimes between 8am and 8pm. I think that is worse then what Charter tells you. Charter at least gives you a morning or an afternoon time so you don’t have to take the whole day off from work. The only way I was able to pull off taking the whole day tomorrow is because of my coworker’s uncle passed away and she’s expecting to be off some other day this week so she’s working tomorrow and I’ll be working her day off and Saturday.

Pat and I are planning on going to the Home Show this weekend at the Monona Terrace. I’m not really sure what that entitles but I am hoping to talk to someone about the hole (planter) in our entryway. I suppose I could take some pictures with me so they know what I am talking about when I say “hole in the floor”. Oh what a joy it would be to have that hole filled in and tiled over.

The whole focus of tonight’s post is a little daunting. I actually registered and committed to the Iron Girl Duathlon on September 25th. I am $95 more poor than I was before but $95 well worth it…I think. I knew this was something I was committing myself to doing back in September. I went to watch  my sister compete in the first ever Maple Grove Triathlon. There were two lengths, Sprint and Olympic. I noticed the more experienced athletes competed in the Olympic distance. There were all types of people competing in the Sprint distance, big ones, tall ones and skinny ones too. There was one woman competing in the shorter distance that was quite inspiring to me. She was probably in her early twenties and had a huge cheering section. They were cheering her in, even though she seemed to be the last one through the finish line. What was inspiring to me? She probably was the heaviest lady in the whole competition. She was maybe 5’5’’ and looked like she was over 250lbs. But she finished it in the time allotted. THAT was inspiring to me. If she can do it, anyone can right? That was the moment I decided I needed to do something.

I knew I wasn’t a strong swimmer and didn’t want to take the time or money to join a gym so that I could relearn how to swim correctly and efficiently. I decided I would take on the Iron Girl Duathlon. This is an annual event, in it’s seventh year in Minnesota, which benefits women. Only women are allowed to register for this event of a 2 mile run, 22 mile bike ride, followed by another 2 mile run. I’ve always been strong on the bike so I’m not worried about that. I am worried about completing those four miles of running. I was hoping that my exercising would be better by now but I have yet to complete a 5k running the whole way. I guess I will have to be able to do it by September.

I actually have multiple people that are planning on running the event with me. My dear sister told me she was going to register. This race should be a nice cool down two weeks after she completes her second Iron Man Wisconsin. My cousin Lynn is going to do it with me; this will be her second Iron Girl race. I know my other cousin Meg is contemplating it and so is my friend Kinsey, although she’s not a fan of biking. I may need to drag her out for some long rides this summer. I tried to talk my mom into doing it but she responded with a “no”. I appreciate all the support but it’s really up to me to get my butt in gear and get in good enough shape to complete it. I don’t really have a goal to place high. Just a goal to finish and maybe not come in last.

Days ‘till race day: 265

No comments:

Post a Comment